5.14.2014

"Time Changes Shape"

I made this choker after looking at images from different tribes of present and past. I was moved by the fact that their traditions and way of life are held on to so gracefully throughout time and history regardless of the worlds changes. Also the fact that their jewelry stands out against their lack of clothing is pretty amazing from a minimal lover's stand point.( I don't think it can get more minimal than that, HAHA) Linkage is represented not only the way a necklace physically moves around but also can be found in the connection between the maker and the piece that takes shape. I once heard that native american weavers would always weave a trail to the outside of their work so their soul would not be trapped in the material existence that they created.This thought has always stuck with me as I try to not get to attached to things that I make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment